Saturday 17 November 2007

Another Show...

Thursday night I found myself at the O2 arena in Greenwich, London. Formerly the Millenium Dome, this building is now hosting music events. I personally think the venue is so big that even for a show like My Chemical Romance, who's trademark is over-the-top theatrics, it should be used for x-sports instead.
But maybe i'm just spoilt and prefer to see bands in a small venue with about 300 other people at the most.
So there I was, up in the rafters, wishing I had brought along my binoculars as the people on stage looked about 1cm tall.
The opening act was Mindless Self Indulgence (aka Mrs Gerard's Band). I sat back and watched, objectively, to thier set. And you know what? They really weren't that bad. But then, they weren't good either. Mostly rapping to punk music. With repetitive lyrics in the veins of 50 Cents. What? You couldn't be asked to try some clever word play?

So once this foursome flounced offstage, we had our headliners come on. Well, three out of five. Bob Bryar (drummer) is on sick leave due to a wrist injury, and Frank (rythmn guitar) was away due to a family illness.
But we had Gerard, Mikey and Ray to keep up the act. Now here comes the stupid part. I carefully typed out the playlist on my phone during the show and stupidly pressed the wrong button and erased it! So I'm relying on my memory from here on in.
Opening with a new track Stay Awake the band kicked off the show! Before you knew it, we were being raced through hits from all three albums, including Mama, Prison, Give 'em Hell Kid, Honey..., Headfirst for Halos, Helena, Teenagers and of course the ballady I Don't Love You.
Pyrotechics were going crazy during Welcome To The Black Parade, which still sends shivers down my spine.
Gerard is an amazing front man, even without the antics of Frank to amuse, he captivated us. Well, me at least. His banter was warm, darkly funny and went down well with everyone there.


(Photocredit to Somlanare off LJ)

Reports from Camp MCR say that this is thier last European show until thier next album. Let's just hope they don't choose the O2 arena again.

No comments: